Saturday, January 2, 2010

Visions of the future

My dearest Nora, wherever thou mayst roam,

As I was showering in preparation for an evening at a friend's, A Prairie Home Companion helped me pass the time. I've taken comfort in the program in my automobile on a Saturday evening, mostly driving to an out-of-the-way grocery store to savour the time away from my roommates.

I first heard the production, however, on a Sunday morning after a visit to Old Flame's church. It was March and still slightly cool outside...quite comfortable. The down-home, suspended-in-a-time-gone-by atmosphere grabbed hold of me, as you would probably expect.

As I was saying, though, tonight's program was a retrospective and during a segment in which a mother was calling her son from The Price Is Right studios just before going on, my mind drifted from the humourous proceedings and thought how nice it might be to have a cozy little house sort of out of the way, and to be listening to the program as my wife and I prepare and consume dinner together. It'd be a Saturday evening ritual, even when children enter the picture. I would hope that it'd be something they'd look back on many years down the road and feel a sense of warmness and joy at the time we all spent together.

Yes, I quite like to dream of such things and anxiously await the chance to make them a reality.

May the grace of He keep you always,

J.O. Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment