Thursday, January 14, 2010

Some indication that my father was at least partially correct

My dearest Nora, wherever thou mayst roam,

Recently, an audio recording of a lecture at my university by a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine became available. I was in attendance for this lecture and had hoped to learn a lot about what a DO is and isn't. I never had a clear picture. All I had was what my father told me throughout my youth, which was that all DOs are crazy and won't do you a bit of good. Naturally, having come from my father, I took this as complete, indisputable truth.

Of course, as I grew older, I realised that there are just as many bad MDs as there are bad DOs, but that the majority of folks with either degree are worth their weight in salt...but I still didn't know how a DO practices, precisely.

So, yes, here I am, sitting in this lecture hall with a large sample of my university's population, all eager to hear what all there is to be said.

Things started off smashingly. She gave distinct definitions of what a DO can and can't do as compared to an MD, and I was satisfied. Then, she got into some of the specifics about how a DO treats patients. Interesting, but not how I want to practice. At this point, I was just kind of wishing that I could get up and leave...go study organic chemistry, or something. Yeah, desperation. I'd heard what I wanted to hear.

...and then I heard more than I wanted to.

Here is a portion of the actual audio recording (quality slightly questionable, but not grating on the nerves or anything):



...

An anti-EMF pendant.

This sounded like New Age quackery and not serious medicine. I sat in amazement at what I'd just witnessed. I hoped that she was joking.

She carried on a bit after this, but it was too much for me. I had to get up and out of there, and the sooner the better. Some other folks had the same idea. Maybe they had class, or maybe they, too, were suppressing laughter with all they could muster.

Wow.

Part of me wished my father could've been in attendance. I told him about it shortly after the incident, but it just isn't the same.

I imagine that if I hadn't discovered that my father was wrong about most DOs, after this experience, they'd have seemed a bunch of space aliens to me. Heh, an amusing thought.

May the grace of He keep you always,

J.O. Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment