Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New techologies!

My dearest Nora, wherever thou mayst roam,

Whilst listening to NPR in the shower this morning, I heard talk of the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show. This used to be something that would get me a bit excited, but after years and years of disappointing and seemingly pointless consumer garbage, I became disinterested. Fast forwarding to today, that old magic feeling has returned.

3D television was the big item of focus. 3D television. I know that 3D movies were kind of an unsuccessful undertaking in the 1950s, with quite limited use until the present. 3D television. It seems as though one must still adorn some sort of eyewear to participate, which is disappointing. I'm sure that someday there will be technology to shed the shades, and only then can I imagine any real widespread success of such products. The cost, the relative inconvenience, and lack of 3D programming (ESPN's coverage of the World Cup will be first, and some other network will soon offer its own dedicated 3D channel...not nearly enough considering the cost, and the fact that the network, although I've forgotten which, is a crappy one) will hold this back. Still a terribly exciting prospect, though. I'd love to watch Ken Burns' "Jazz" program, or Rick Steves' Europe in 3D! I think golf would be mildly entertaining for a minute, but I wouldn't mind if that stayed in 2D. Hmm.

Laser handheld projectors sound amazing and more practical than 3D televisions. I can imagine such technology could possibly be incorporated in medicine, perhaps best fit on the battlefield. However, not knowing much about any of those situations, I don't know the actual practicality.

Some of the items in the video in the article I read (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8440338.stm) are still the same kind of garbage, especially the last two items... an alarm for when you've wandered to far from your phone (!?) and a wireless speaker integrated into a bedside lamp. Mmhm.

At any rate, it's exciting to see some of my childhood, Back-to-the-Future-fueled dreams of future technology kind of creeping out. Highly portable, practical mobile television was one thing that had desperately dreamed for around the age of 7 or 8, and now apparently with the switch to digital television broadcast has made that a possibility and such devices are also on display at the convention. Quite amazing, although I have no desire to own one at present. Even my MP3 player hardly gets any use these days.

The one piece of technology I dreamed of as a child, and still am patiently waiting for, is the hoverboard.



May the grace of He keep you always,

J.O. Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment