Thursday, April 1, 2010

Letters on the run

My dearest Nora, wherever thou mayst roam,

The time allotted to pen this letter is brief. I've been incarcerated.

...only kidding. To tell the truth (or "troof," if you prefer), the demands placed on me by my courses at university have not so much as spared more than an hour or two daily of free time. Ordinarily, I'd be accepting and joyful about the break, but that time is not available to spend on myself, being the head of a committee that is trying to get something accomplished.

This committee I speak of is made up of my peers and I quite like all of them. Most of them are hard-working and excited about what we're doing. One has obviously become completely uninterested and tries to drag everyone down by making comments like, "Wouldn't it be easier if we dropped X and did Y instead?"

Another problem, again mostly by Mr. Disinterested, is agreeing to be places and do things at certain times...and then not showing up. Especially aggravating when that person was in charge of procuring important items. Not answering phone calls until half an hour before the event is over is a nice touch.

Some (most) of the folks, two or three in particular, sort of frighten me with their inability to read and follow directions. You say you want to be a physician but you can't follow through with signing your name here or some other similar, minor task? The worst offender rang me up in a real state of frantic concern the other morning. "Josiah, good morning. X is super cool, but it starts SO EARLY! We'll be wasting our time for at least 2 hours, so I think we should start it later."

I expressed my appreciation for her concern, but informed her that the start time is actually, funnily enough, 2 hours later than when she thought (for whatever reason) it was.

"Ooooooooooh, really? Okay, well, yeah. Much better."

Thanks.

Learn to r e a d !

Overall, though, it's a great time and is very successful so far. Apologies for being skimpy on the details, but we've been sworn to secrecy by the government.

Okay, okay, it's just that the likelihood of some of them crossing paths with this letter is strong enough to make me cautious.

Goodbye for now, my dear, and I hope that all is well. Until we meet again, au revoir, etc.

May the grace of He keep you always,

J.O. Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment