Friday, May 28, 2010

Moments of witticism

There I was, wandering around on the third floor of one of the buildings on campus, checking off items on my to-do list for the day. One more task to go and then it was off to the apartment for lunch and a strong cup of coffee to propel me through the afternoon.

 As I rounded the corner to enter a computer lab, a group of five people stopped me. Two moms, one dad, two teenagers. They looked lost. I remember the feeling...was almost a year to the day that I felt the same way. They must be here for orientation.

Sure, enough. The dad told me they were looking for a registration table. I told them that it was down on the first floor in front of Big Ol' Room.

Blank stares.

Oh, yeah. I didn't know where that was, despite the map, either.

I told them to go downstairs and take a...hmm, a left? Wait, no, take a right...then a left. Uh. Hmm. I... (felt embarrassed)

I led them to the top of the stairs, and as I did so, one of the moms asked, "Well, in which general direction is it from here?" Oh, that's easy. I pointed right. Everyone seemed satisfied. I told them I'd show them the way anyway.

As we made our way down the stairs, the dad asked, "Are you sure it's to the right?" Since I could see the room in the distance, I replied in the affirmative. Whilst descending the last couple of steps, one of the teenagers asked what my major was.

In a flash of brilliance, I said, "Civil engineering."

2 comments:

  1. Heh. Smooth.

    It's our default here, whenever one of the Canadians is behaving badly in pubic we shake our heads and say, "those darn Americans".

    BUSTED! :)

    ReplyDelete